UPDATE: He’s dead.
- Thug: Steven Michael Woods Jr. (21 at time of offense)
- Date of Execution: September 13, 2011
- Date of Crime: May 02, 2001
- Victim(s): Ronald Patrick Whitehead and Bethena Lyn Brosz
- Last Meal: Bacon; a large pizza with bacon, sausage, pepperoni and hamburger; fried chicken breasts; chicken fried steak; hamburgers with bacon on French toast; garlic bread sticks; Mountain Dew, Pepsi, root beer and sweet tea; and ice cream
- Final Words: “You’re not about to witness an execution, you’re about to witness a murder … I’ve never killed anybody, never,” Woods said. “This whole thing is wrong … Warden, if you’re going to murder someone, go ahead and do it. Pull that trigger.”
On 05/02/2001, in The Colony, Texas, Steven Woods and Marcus Rhodes used a .380 caliber pistol, a .45 caliber pistol, and a knife to kill 21-year old Ronald Patrick by shooting him six times in the head and cutting his neck four times. A 19-year old white female, Bethena Lyn Brosz, was also killed with two shots to the head, a shot in the knee, and cutting her throat. Woods and the Rhodes took property from the victims which included their car keys, backpacks, a cell phone and other personal items.
To this day, Woods claims he is innocent. Rhodes is serving life in prison with possibility of parole.
Prior Criminal History
Via the Texas Attorney General:
Under Texas law, the rules of evidence prevent certain prior criminal acts from being presented to a jury during the guilt-innocence phase of the trial. However, once a defendant is found guilty, jurors are presented information about the defendant’s prior criminal conduct during the second phase of the trial – which is when they determine the defendant’s punishment.
During the penalty phase of Woods’s trial, jurors learned that Woods was involved in the murder of another victim in California less than two years before he murdered Whitehead and Brosz. Jurors were also informed that Woods, Rhodes, and two other accomplices planned to rob a clothing store in Deep Ellum. Jurors also learned that Woods may have planned to murder a woman who intended to purchase and resell illegal drugs.
As said many times before, some people are just so evil that the world is a better place without them. Steven Woods is such a person. And sometime just after 6:00 pm HTT the world will be just a little better off than it was a few minutes earlier.