No. Not another massacre at another showing of The Dark Knight Rises, but rather just another ordinary (if not somewhat-slow) Friday night in Chicago.
Someone alert Obama so he can suspend his campaign again…
A 16-year-old girl and four other people were killed and at least 20 others wounded Saturday afternoon into Sunday morning across the city, from the Near North Side west to the Austin neighborhood and as far south as 107th Street.
From Friday evening into Saturday morning, 10 people had been shot, one of them fatally.
The girl was shot three times in the West Englewood nighborhood Saturday evening. The other three who died in overnight violence included one of three people shot on the street in Cragin, a woman shot in a van in Chatham and a man shot while sitting in a car in North Austin.
The girl was identified as 16-year-old Shakaki Ashby, of the 4200 block of South Vincennes Avenue, by the Cook County medical examiner’s office.
The girl had no gang affiliations and no arrest history, according to police. She and a 21-year-old man were shot about 7 p.m. Saturday in the 2000 block of West 70th Place in the West Englewood neighborhood on the South Side, police said.
The girl was taken in serious-to-critical condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center, where she died at 3:47 a.m. Sunday morning.
The man, who police said was a gang member, was shot in the left leg and also taken to Christ, where his condition was stabilized, according to the Chicago Fire Department and police.
- 4/15/2012 -- Just Another Saturday Night in Chicagoland: Two Dead, Seven Wounded in Shootings (2)
- 6/18/2012 -- Obama Visits Chicago, Gun Violence and Murders Drastically Reduced in the Presence of The Won (11)
- 7/5/2012 -- 10-year Old Daughter of a 24-year Old Mother Shot While Playing Outside on Chicago Street at 11:20 p.m. (23)
- 8/24/2012 -- 19 people shot in overnight shootings across Chicago (3)
- 1/1/2013 -- Final Murder Tally in Obama’s Hometown of Chicago: 532 (8)