A few weeks ago, I posted on Facebook that Obama was the most anti-second amendment President in the history of this country. One of my Facebook friends — an exceptionally smart guy with whom I went to high school and college (Baylor) — challenged my assertion and asked for links and cites.
I’m not usually one to do other people’s homework for them, but he decided to call me out and goad me a few weeks later for not being able to back up my claim.
Hey Noel [a fellow high school classmate], did Robbie Cooper ever respond to your request for data supporting his claim that Pres Obama is most gun-control-favoring president ever? I’ve researched and I can’t find anything that supports that. I’m wondering where he got it…maybe from Fox News false/innaccurate news? Hope all is well!
And Noel’s response:
No, he didn’t. And if there were anything to say I would certainly expect him to browbeat me with it, ha ha. Fox News et al. is exactly why we should reinstate the Fairness Doctrine – and support public media!
This, from a guy who claims to be a staunch Libertarian, yet has one of the most shameless man-crushes on Obama — the biggest enemy of the limited government beliefs of actual Libertarians. I assume he’s Libertarian in the same way that Andrew Sullivan, Meaghan McCain, and David Brooks are Conservative …
Instead of posting my proof on the Facebook page of the other high school classmate where this goading took place, I decided to make a blog post out of the topic instead.
Obama’s Anti-Second Amendment Views/Statements
Again, my claim is that Obama is the most anti-second amendment President ever. And here’s why I say that (note, that not a single one of my sources or cites will be to Fox News):
- Richard Pearson, Illinois State Rifle Association Executive Director, on then-Senator Obama — “While a state senator, Obama voted for a bill that would ban nearly every hunting rifle, shotgun and target rifle owned by Illinois citizens. That same bill would authorize the state police to raid homes of gun owners to forcibly confiscate banned guns. Obama supported a bill that would shut down law-abiding firearm manufacturers including Springfield Armory, Armalite, Rock River Arms and Les Baer. Obama also voted for a bill that would prohibit law-abiding citizens from purchasing more than one gun per month. While a state senator, Obama voted 4 times against legislation that would allow a homeowner to use a firearm in defense of home and family (Illinois Senate, S.B. 2165, vote 20, 3/25/04).”
- Obama (During an Illinois Senate debate with Alan Keyes) — “I think it’s a scandal that this president [Bush] did not authorize a renewal of the assault weapons ban.”
- Obama — As a US Senator, Obama voted to ban almost all rifle ammunition commonly used for hunting and sport shooting (United States Senate, S. 397, vote 217, 7/29/05).
- Obama spent eight years (1994-2002) as a director of the Joyce Foundation, a billion dollar tax-exempt organization.The Joyce Foundation spent millions creating and supporting anti-gun organizations. “During Obama’s tenure, the Joyce Foundation board planned and implemented a program targeting the Supreme Court. The work began five years into Obama’s directorship, when the Foundation had experience in turning its millions into anti-gun “grassroots” organizations, but none at converting cash into legal scholarship.”The plan’s objective was bold: the judicial obliteration of the Second Amendment.
- Obama’s two Supreme Court nominees, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan are widely considered to be anti-second amendment. Sotomayor voted with the minority in the famous Heller decision. “Heller was a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects an individual’s right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes in federal enclaves, such as self-defense within the home.”
- And here’s Obama’s own views on the D.C. gun ban: “Obama personally voiced support for the D.C. ban at other times. In February, Leon Harris, a news anchor for the ABC affiliate in Washington, said to Obama: “One other issue that’s of great importance here in the district as well is gun control … but you support the D.C. handgun ban.” Obama’s simple response: “Right.” When Harris added “and you’ve said that it’s constitutional,” Obama again said “right,” and he is clearly seen on tape nodding his head in agreement.”
- Opposes civilian concealed carry:
- I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry. — Mendell, David, “From Promise to Power” (2007), p. 251.
- I am not in favor of concealed weapons. I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during) altercations. — Pittsburg Tribune-Review (April 2, 2008).
- [Obama] backed federal legislation that would ban citizens from carrying weapons, except for law enforcement. He cited Texas as an example of a place where a law allowing people to carry weapons has “malfunctioned” because hundreds of people granted licenses had prior convictions. — — http://www.icadp.org/page236.html (Citing David Mendel, Chicago Tribune, February 20, 2004)
And, perhaps most damning: Obama: We’re working on gun control “under the radar“:
On March 30, the 30th anniversary of the assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan, Jim Brady, who sustained a debilitating head wound in the attack, and his wife, Sarah, came to Capitol Hill to push for a ban on the controversial “large magazines.” Brady, for whom the law requiring background checks on handgun purchasers is named, then met with White House press secretary Jay Carney. During the meeting, President Obama dropped in and, according to Sarah Brady, brought up the issue of gun control, “to fill us in that it was very much on his agenda,” she said.
“I just want you to know that we are working on it,” Brady recalled the president telling them. “We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.”
The Huffington Post describes how the Obama administration is exploring ways to bypass Congress and enact gun control through executive action:
The Department of Justice reportedly is holding meetings discussing the White House’s options for enacting regulations on its own or through adjoining agencies and departments. “Administration officials said talk of executive orders or agency action are among a host of options that President Barack Obama and his advisers are considering. “
Many believe that Eric Holder and Obama’s botched Operation Fast & Furious was part of their “under the radar” plan to manufacture a gun crisis (US arms being trafficked to Mexican drug cartels) in order to crack down on legal gun sales and ownership in the United States.
So…there’s my reason for stating that Obama is the most anti-second amendment President in history. I have more if you like…but I thought this should be adequate. I know a lot of my readers have followed Obama’s anti-gun stance, too — what have I missed?
I’ll post a link to this on the Facebook page where I was challenged.