Good question posed by the folks over at PJ Media:
If Americans are interested in adhering to the Founders’ intentions for a “well-regulated militia” as envisioned, it is our duty not to just own firearms (with exceptions made for religious, mental, and physical limitations), but to own AR-15 rifles and accessories and to train with them to an agreed upon standard of competency. This competency (and proficiency) is what the Founders meant by the term “well-regulated,” which in the English of the day meant “smoothly functioning.”
An unorganized militia’s military efficiency can be measured a number of ways, but the most easy and logical to measure is to require a certain minimal level of equipment and to judge proficiency with military-capable firearms.
As previous militias were required to maintain a minimal level of stores, a modern contemporary militia would want to be equipped with the following:
- an AR-15 rifle or carbine, with iron sights or optics
- at least four but preferably seven or more 30-round magazines
- a chest rig or bandolier for carrying loaded magazines
- a constantly maintained reserve of 1,000 rounds of full-metal jacket (FMJ) ammunition for training and service use if called upon
- appropriate seasonal clothing
- a first aid kit (preferably an individual first aid kid, or IFAK)
- food, water, and temporary shelter for three days
That’s a good start. And, I’d say, a minimum of what you’d need.
I’d say you’d want to double the amount of ammunition and magazines and to have at least two carbines that fire the same cartridges. Two rifles, because your spouse is going to need one, too. And if you’re not married, you’re going to want to be able to arm a friend or neighbor to join you.
And in addition to the “appropriate seasonal clothing,” add some body armor to your list of nice-to-haves.
What other items do you, as a responsible member of our well-regulated (and well-armed) militia think you should have?
- 7/22/2012 -- Media Gun Reports, A Primer (9)
- 7/8/2010 -- Gov. Jindal Expands Second Amendment Rights — Liberals Freak Out (14)
- 4/15/2010 -- Jerry Patterson on the Right to Own and Bear Arms in Texas (6)
- 4/20/2013 -- Hitler’s And Barry’s Butt Hurt (7)
- 1/15/2013 -- Who Will Stand With Those Who Are? (4)