|University of Texas Ready to Offer Nine Massive Open Online Courses||Youths of Undetermined Ethnicity Rampage Through Chicago Mall|
Of course there are a few entries that should be on the list (most all of the celebrities, especially Beyoncé Knowles), but also:
- Johnny Manziel — who cares? He’s not the first Texan to win the Heisman, and, as only a freshman, not even close to the best college football player in Texas history.
- Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez — First of all: Who the hell are these two bubble-gum chewing children? And…umm, no. Just. No.
- The Houston hip-hop scene — again, no. Something that nobody who lives outside of Loop 610 cares anything or knows anything about. While other items on this list are truly iconic and will be long remembered, Houston rap is not one of those things.
And any list like this is always going to be most criticized for what the left off, such as:
- BBQ — Ok, you included breakfast tacos and Tex-mex cuisine (rightly so), but to leave off the official food of Texas? Criminal. The best BBQ in the world is smoked in small towns around central Texas; markets where meats have been smoked by the same families in the same pits for more than a hundred years. I promise you that Mueller family BBQ, the big three joints in Lockhart (which makes it the official Mecca of BBQ), and even the venerable Salt Lick are much more authentically Texas and much more important to more people than Demi and Selena.
- Lone Star and Shiner Bock — Oh come on! These two beers are more popular in Texas than Barack Obama (or rap music of any kind), and are a big part of Texas culture.
What else is missing from this list? Padre Island (longest barrier island in the word)? The Big Thicket National forest (one of the most biodiverse areas in the world outside of the tropics)? Or, how about any mention of the best economy in the nation? The Medical Center in Houston?
- 6/6/2009 -- Picture of the Day: Fentress Airpark (1)
- 10/10/2008 -- Guess Which Immigrants Really Hate the New Driver’s License Law in Texas? (2)
- 10/19/2009 -- Recommendations: Texas Consitutional Amendments Election (9)
- 10/6/2009 -- Veterans Going Back to College (5)
- 11/11/2009 -- How Much Help Do We Owe Victims of Natural Disasters? (2)