|Texas 6th graders ordered to design flags for a “new socialist nation”||If New Yorkers Are This Pissed Off About a Gun Grab, the Government is in Trouble|
Been wanting to get some new ink for a while, and had decided on a black and white portrait of baby Cash. Having seen too many baby-portrait-tattoos-gone-wrong pics (see below), I’ve been researching portrait tattoo artists for a while.
I found an artist, Holly Ellis from Idle Hands Tattoo studio whose portfolio of work I really liked. Unfortunately, her studio is in San Fransico, CA.
My last tattoo was done by an artist in Northridge, CA (Mike DeVries), and required three trips out to California over the course of a year and a half to finally finish it, so I was hoping to find an artist much closer to home for my next tattoo.
Luckily for me, I found out that Holly was attending the Star of Texas Tattoo and Art Revival, which was held here in Austin last month. So I set up an appointment with her, brought her a picture of Cash, and she drew up the art work and was able to knock out this 5″ x 7″ tattoo on my right-upper pec in about 3 hours:
And a bit bigger image showing the placement of the tattoo:
Pretty happy with how well it turned out. I’m planning on a full sleeve, connecting to this chest piece, of black-and-white portrait work (Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and Waylon Jennings will be next).
- 2/23/2011 -- Where in the World: MD Tattoo Studio in Los Angeles (3)
- 3/29/2011 -- Where in the World: Mike DeVries Tattoo Studio in Los Angeles (6)
- 5/21/2011 -- My New Gorilla Tattoo by Mike DeVries (6)
- 5/14/2013 -- The (not so) Daily Cute Kid — Cash All Cashed Out (4)
- 11/4/2012 -- The (not so) Daily Cute Kid: Weekend Trip to the ER (15)